Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Plein Air at Scott's Landing

We had five folks participate in our Plein Air South group this past Friday at Scott's Landing (Jami Buck, Conroy Hudlow, Loren Chavez, Stephanie Morris and myself). It was a beautiful day and we were visited near the end of our session by the "pet" egret. Here are a couple of photos of our group and my attempt to capture the bait shop. The trees in the background were a beautiful fall palette. It was a beautiful day and we were visited near the end of our session by the "pet" egret.

Loren, Stephanie, Conroy and Jami at work, with onlooker nearby.

Conroy and Loren at work.


Here is Stephanie with her lovely painting of the marsh and the Tensaw River.


I've been trying to simplify my compositions and paint more loosely in oil. I'm getting there, but still could play with more and thicker application of paint. This one needs some more work back in the studio.


Jami has some really beautiful photos of this egret on her blog site. I have a photo from last summer of the same egret, and have been trying to finish a "portrait" painting of it - but am not quite satisfied yet with it. I'm also starting another "bird" painting with a group of laughing gulls from a photo I took last fall on the Dauphin Island Ferry. Both of these are due December 5th for a bird show that Bill Morris is curating. I'll post these once they are completed.

No comments: