Saturday, April 17, 2010

Spring in Mobile

The past couple of weeks in Mobile have been extremely springlike and beautiful. We have finally been getting out for some plein air painting. A week ago Friday, my friend Jami and I drove to Baldwin County for the Weeks Bay Plant Sale (to see our friend Thayer who is a master gardener and runs the Dodd and Dodd nursery), and took the opportunity to do some plein air painting along the Fish River near Weeks Bay. Here's a photo of me painting (still tweaking on this painting).




Then Thursday morning this week, our Plein Air South group convened at the Mobile Botanical Gardens. We had 8 or 9 of us show up and the weather was just perfect. Most folks were focusing on the beautiful blooming azaleas, but this striking red maple in the rhododendron garden caught my eye. This is pretty much abstracted impressionist style - you really have to stand back to appreciate this small oil painting. I mostly used my palette knife. It is a little crude, but I kind of like it due to the combination of colors - the red maple and the golden orange native azalea blooms in the background.







And this morning we had our Saturday Figure Group session down at Space 301. We had Hannah again, and she is now about 8 months pregnant. She was fun to paint, and this also seems a spring-like subject (signs of new birth and all that). I picked out these sketches to share because they seemed to show some progress in me trying to figure out how to use the watercolor to capture the skin tones and shadows, and they were fun to do.




This was a fun conte pencil sketch!




I have my Anabel cow painting in the University of Mobile Juried Exhibition and the reception is tomorrow (Sunday afternoon). I'm hoping to be able to make it over there for the reception, but I also have to make it to the Watercolor and Graphic Arts Society meeting to discuss the upcoming Spring show. After the WGAS show, I'm hoping to slow down and not be so over-commited - so I'll have more time to paint. I feel like I'm spending too much time on the administration of art rather than art-making. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: