Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Challenge of Miniature Art

Last year I entered the Second Annual Spanish Moss Show, and learned that I am definitely not a miniature art artist! However, that has not discouraged me from still trying my art skills in such endeavors. I learned that miniature art is not just painting small - miniature art is a skill in painting very finely and detailed with small brushes to create a smooth painting surface that hides the brush strokes. However, there are miniature art societies across the world that exhibit miniature art in many media and styles, so I think there may yet be a niche for my work. In Mobile we have established the Alabama Miniature Art Society, and tomorrow we turn in work for the Third Annual Spanish Moss Show of Miniature Art. It will be shown downtown at the Mobile Arts Council during the month of March, with an opening reception during the LoDa art walk on March 11th. There will be artwork from expert miniature art artists from all over the country, and I think you will be quite impressed with the calibre of the artwork. I attempted two paintings, 4 in. x 4 in. in acrylic as shown below. I am pleased with these paintings as small paintings, but not sure they will compare to the other fine miniature artwork that will be displayed in the show. But here are my two entries. Come on down to the Mobile Arts Council during March and see how the real experts present their work!


"Cozy", acrylic on matboard, 4 in. x 4 in. (This is based on a photo of our grand-daughter Priya bundled in her favorite afghan and blanket.)


"Feeding Time", acrylic on matboard, 4 in. x 4 in. I loved the cows in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island - here are twin calves feeding in a small farmer's yard - I also loved the blue barn/shed in the background.

2 comments:

conroy hudlow said...

very nice little cows

Janie Brown said...

Love the little masterpieces.
I especially like little Priya all
cuddly in the afgan. Also enjoyed the lunch today. Let's do it again soon.
Janie