Thursday, November 13, 2008

Plein Air, Reception and Figure Group!

Tuesday was Veteran's Day and was a day that several of us finally got to do some plein air painting. Lydia Host and Mary Elizabeth Kimbrough painted in the morning, and Jami Buck, Gail Bramer and I painted in the afternoon (all due to conflicting schedules). But we all painted at Langan Park and the weather was beautiful - kind of an Indian Summer type of day with the trees showing alot of color not necessarily typical of the southern Gulf coast.

Here is my plein air painting attempt from Tuesday at the park. This is oil on board. I had trouble at first preventing the paint from sliding right off the board, but finally got the knack of it and tried to make it work for me by scratching off paint for effect. It is interesting to compare what others did with this beautiful day in the park. I checked Lydia's and Mary Elizabeth's blogs and they were apparently able to focus in a little closer. But this was a learning experience for me to capture all the different textures for the different vegetation, as well as the reflections in the lake.



Tonight is Missy Patrick's reception for her solo show at Gallery 54. Will go straight from there to our Figure Group session, which is held at Space 301 downtown. We have a really good group and have had some great models so far. Will have to post some figure drawings next time. I'm so happy that I have time for all these art activities, and grateful for the art community in Mobile that has so much to offer if you will search it out.

No comments: